Media on Grief Dreams
Academic Publications (by Joshua Black)
- Black, J., DeCicco, T., Seeley, C., Murkar, A., Black, J., & Fox, P. (2016). Dreams of the Deceased: Can Themes be Reliably Coded? International Journal of Dream Research, 9(2), 110-114. https://journals.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/index.php/IJoDR/article/view/28117/pdf
- Black, J., Murkar, A., & Black, J. (2014). Examining the healing process through dreams in bereavement. Sleep and Hypnosis, 16, 10-17. http://sleepandhypnosis.org/ing/archivelist.aspx?SayiID=55
- Black, J. (2013). Examining dreams, dream content, and meaning of dreams in bereavement (Master's thesis). Trent University, Oshawa, ON
- President's Surgite Award Winners Honoured (Joshua Black was one of the winners)(The Brock News - April 5, 2017) https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2017/04/presidents-surgite-award-winners-honoured/
- Grief Network Niagara hosts Children's Grief Awareness Event at Brock (feat. Joshua Black and Melissa Penner) (The Brock Press - November 15, 2016) - http://www.brockpress.com/2016/11/grief-network-niagara-hosts-childrens-grief-awareness-event-at-brock/
- Niagara Closeup: Study Explores Grief Dreams (feat. Joshua Black) (Front page in The St. Catharines Standard - Aug. 26, 2016) - http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016/08/25/niagara-closeup-study-explores-grief-dreams
- Uncovering the world of grief dreams (feat. Joshua Black) (Front page in The Welland Tribune - Aug. 26, 2016).
- Uncovering powerful world of grief dreams (feat. Joshua Black) (Front page in The Niagara Falls Review - Aug. 26, 2016).
- Dreams of the Dead (feat. Joshua Black) (Hamilton Mountain News - March 30, 2016) - http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/6409855-dreams-of-the-dead/
- A Connection to Another Realm (feat. Joshua Black) (Niagara This Week - March 27, 2016) - http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/6404795-a-connection-to-another-realm/
- A New Vision for Dreams of the Dying (feat. Dr. Kerr) (New York Times - Feb. 2, 2016) - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/health/dreams-dying-deathbed-interpretation-delirium.html
- Dr. Kerr's TedTalk titled "I see dead people: Dreams and visions of the dying" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnBe-vXGQM
Radio/Podcast Interviews (feat. Joshua Black)
- Parenting Conversations: Authentic Moments Podcast with Anna Seewald (2017, June 8) - https://soundcloud.com/anna-seewald/lose-grief-and-the-mysterious-meanings-of-your-dreams
- Dealing with My Grief Podcast with host Darwyn Dave (March 1, 2017 - Episode 55) - http://www.dealingwithmygrief.com
- CFBU 103.7 fm with host Deborah Cartmer (Jan. 27, 2017)
- Dear Dougy Podcast with host Jana DeCristofaro (Jan. 20, 2017 - Episode 48) - http://deardougy.libsyn.com/e048-grief-dreams-an-interview-with-joshua-black
- Good Grief with host Cheryl Jones (Jan. 18, 2017) - https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/96900/grief-dreams
- AM790 - Journeys With GracePointe Grief Center (Jan. 7, 2017) - https://audioboom.com/posts/5470322-journeys-with-gracepointe-1-7-17
- Coast to Coast AM with host George Noory (Oct. 11, 2016) - http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/black-joshua/82420/
- 1130 AM - Twin Cities News Talk (Darkness Radio) (Sept. 14, 2016) - http://twincitiesnewstalk.iheart.com/media/play/27315003/
- 93.3 CMFU - MorningFile hosted by Ingie Metwally (April 12, 2016) ( I speak at 11:00-28:51 and music by Ola Kiermacz called "Fill a River" 28:51-31:31)
- 610 CKTB - The Larry Fedoruk Show (April 4, 2016) - https://soundcloud.com/larryfedorukshow/studying-grief-dreams-joshua-black
TV Interviews (feat. Joshua Black)
- What's New? hosted by Carrie Zeffiro (October 3, 2016)
Blog Posts (feat. Joshua Black)
Some Movies, Music, Books and Articles on Grief Dreams
Movies, TV, and Music (with scenes or lyrics of Grief Dreams)
Shutter Island (2010) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncc8jtfSsTU)
The Wolverine (2013)
The Good Dinosaur (2015)
Collateral Beauty (2016)
Pete's Dragon (2016)
Manchester by the Sea (2016)
Ghost in the Shell (2017)
King Arthur (2017)
War of the Planet of the Apes (2017)
The Big Bang Theory (Season 7, episode 22) -
The Big Bang Theory (Season 9, episode 11) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHbuoZSM94
Game of Thrones (Season 3, episode 2)
Lost (Season 2, episode 21)
Futurama (Season 7, episode 23) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuAKWJ8Ets&feature=youtu.be
- The Young and the Restless (many times)
- Empire (Season 2, episode 1)
- "Fill A River" by Ola Kiermackz (who wrote 4 songs with the help of a few co-writers to play at the end of my talks) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjOr32Sbe4
- "High Hopes" by Kodaline - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4povfmX144&feature=youtu.be
- "When I Get High" by Nothing But Thieves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWpEZguQE8E
- "Don't Wake Me Up" by Skillet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PMrV7derw
- "And The World Turned" by The Gabe Dixon Band - https://vimeo.com/68158418
- Dunn, E. (2016). Fetch: An Odyssey (comic book series). https://www.comixology.com/search?lang=1&search=fetch
- Spider-man comics
Black, J., & Stapleford, D. (2016). Dreaming of Owl.
Garfield, P. (1996). Dreams in bereavement. In D. Barrett (Ed.), Trauma and dreams (pp. 186-211). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Garfield, P. (1997). The dream messenger: How dreams of the departed bring healing gifts. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
Guggenheim, B., & Guggenheim, J. (1995). Hello form heaven! New York, NY: Bantam Books.
Hoffman, L. (Ed.). (2009). Special dream: Personal accounts after the death of a loved one. New York, NY: The Crossroad Publishing Company.
Ryan, D. A. (2006). Dreams about the dead: Glimpses of grief. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc.
Trask-Curtin, M. (2012). Dreaming of the dead: Personal stories of comfort & hope. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
Wray, T. J., & Price, A. B. (2005). Grief dreams: How they help heal us after the death of a loved one. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Academic Publications (from other authors)
Adams, K., & Hyde, B. (2008). Children’s grief dreams and the theory of spiritual intelligence. Dreaming, 18(1), 58-67.
Barrett, D. (1992). Through a glass darkly: Images of the dead in dreams. Omega, 24(2), 97-108.
Belicki, K., Gulko, N., Ruzycki, K., & Aristotle, J. (2003). Sixteen years of dreams following spousal bereavement. Omega, 47(2), 93-106.
Begovac, B., & Begovac, I. (2012). Dreams of deceased children and countertransference in the group psychotherapy of bereaved mothers: Clinical illustration. Death Studies, 36, 723-741.
Domhoff, G. W. (2015). Dreaming as embodied simulation: A widower’s dreams of his deceased wife. Dreaming, 25(3), 232-256.
Hinton, D. E., Field, N. P., Nickerson, A., Bryant, R. A., & Simon, N. (2013). Dreams of the dead among Cambodian refugees: Frequency, phenomenology, and relationship to complicated grief and posttraumatic stress disorder. Death Studies, 37(8), 750-767.
Germain, A., Shear, K. M., Walsh, C., Buysse, D. J., Monk, T. H., Reynolds, C. F.,…Silowash, R. (2013). Dream content in complicated grief: A window into loss-related cognitive schemas. Death Studies, 37, 269-284.
Moss, E. (2002). Working with dreams in the bereavement therapy group. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 52(2), 151-170.
Root, B. L., & Exline, J. J. (2014). The role of continuing bonds in coping with grief: Overview and future directions. Death Studies, 38, 1-8.
Wright, S. T., Kerr, C. W., Doroszczuk, N. M., Kuszczak, S. M., Hang, P. C., & Luczkiewicz, D. L. (2013). The impact of dreams of the deceased on bereavement: A survey of hospice caregivers. American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Medicine, 31(2), 132-138.